Title: Jewish Capital as the Factor Shaping the City’s Architecture. Selected Examples of Industrial Urban Development of Piotrków Trybunalski in the Second Half of the 19th Century (up to 1914)
Authors: Gadowska, Irmina
Milerowska, Magdalena
Citation: West Bohemian Historical Review. 2020, no. 1, p. 25-38.
Issue Date: 2020
Publisher: Západočeská univerzita v Plzni
Document type: article
článek
URI: http://wbhr.cz/images/issues/WBHR_2020_1.pdf
http://hdl.handle.net/11025/37003
ISSN: 1804-5480
Keywords: Piotrków Trybunalski;Židovská architektura;architektura 19. století;dějiny Polska
Keywords in different language: Piotrków Trybunalski;Jewish Architecture;19th Century Architecture;history of Poland
Abstract in different language: Currently, Piotrków Trybunalski is one of many medium-sized towns on the map of Poland, yet at the end of the 19th century was the fifth largest in the Polish Kingdom, second only to Warsaw, Łódź, Lublin, and Częstochowa. The city was the seat of governorate authorities, the tax chamber, as well as the Warsaw-Vienna railway station. Until the outbreak of World War II, Poles, Germans, Russians, and Jews living next to each other gave the city its multicultural character. This paper attempts to characterize the economic activity of Jews and their role in trade and the process of industrialization of Piotrków. Selected examples of industrial buildings erected on the initiative of this mentioned group were also analysed.
Rights: © Západočeská univerzita v Plzni
Appears in Collections:Číslo 1 (2020)
Číslo 1 (2020)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Gadowska.pdfPlný text113,24 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/11025/37003

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.